Saturday, July 2, 2022

On Boomer Gatekeeping


Today I tried to engage with someone (a baby boomer) expressing their annoyance with Progressives criticizing them for using the "ok boomer" line (a phrase I never use here or in RL). When pointing out some reasons on why the anger exists, I was told to "stop generalizing" and that I didn't know what I was talking about and then unfollowed. This was by someone always posting about how "liberal" they supposedly are. I was only trying to discuss the issue (hoarding wealth, electing Reagan, Trump etc . .) Many people I admire and been inspired by are part of the b generation. Many fought the good fight, but why not discuss where things went wrong instead of taking the criticism personally? The generations to follow will face austerity, fascism and living under threats of militarized violence, nuclear proliferation, climate disaster, deadly new viruses, and god knows what else. Not sure there's a point to any of this. My aim was simply to engage and point out why the anger exists and maybe encourage some introspection, but instead got a dismissive attitude. The young have strong reason to be angry and terrified about what's to come.

A few useful articles on the subject:

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/ok-boomer-diving-generation-what-does-it-mean-ncna1077261

https://www.salon.com/2020/08/25/ok-boomer-millennial-economy-jill-filipovic-salon-talk/

No comments:

Post a Comment